Bleaching (or tooth whitening) is a simple, non-invasive dental treatment used to change the color of natural tooth enamel and is an ideal way to enhance the beauty of your smile.
Your initial bleaching kit will include:
· 2 custom fitted bleaching trays (1 for each jaw)
· Enough material to treat the upper and lower jaw for around 12 days
· Thorough instructions
· Our assistance with questions when you call
- 12 days is typical
- You will be given a choice of night time bleaching material OR day time bleaching material. Wearing at night usually works better because the night time formulation is designed to do a slower deeper bleaching, whereas the day time formulation is designed to do a faster surface bleaching.
- If you choose the night time material, it’s used overnight for a minimum of 4 -6 hours per application.
- The night time material can be used during the day, rather than overnight, if you must. But, better results are typically obtained with overnight wear because you aren’t tempted to take the trays out of your mouth “for just a little while” to talk, eat, etc.
- If you choose the day time material, it’s used 30 – 60 minutes per day.
- The treatment should be uninterrupted. If you must skip a night or two, the process must be extended to compensate for the time missed.
- Some patients will never need to repeat the whitening process. However, if you notice that you are acquiring some stain, you may do a touch up for one to three nights every 4-6 months.
- Tooth colored fillings, veneers, and crowns do not lighten with bleaching. Therefore, if visible, they would need to be replaced following bleaching. The cost of the replacements may or may not be covered by insurance. Dead teeth and teeth with root canals usually don’t bleach well.
- You’ll need to ask us because it varies based on what our present costs are for the materials.
Professional bleaching products versus over the counter products: